Welcome to the weekend! Now’s the time to settle in and catch up on all this week’s food news. Here are top-level highlights of some of the food stories we’ve been reading this week.
- Here’s a truly brilliant way to get the most life out of your kitchen sponge. [Tasting Table]
- Is sugar from fruit the same as sugar from candy? Trying to settle the debate, once and for all. [NPR]
- Want to have your health food and love it, too? Chef and Times columnist Gabrielle Hamilton has a suggestion for you: make your own tofu and serve it warm with fresh soybeans and salted French butter. [New York Times]
- Thai food is filled with flavor-boosting shrimp paste, fish sauce and chicken stock. Here’s how to eat your way through Thailand as a vegetarian. [Food Republic]
- To file under “oh, dear”: Taco Bell is testing a new burrito that features spicy popping rocks. [Foodbeast]