Welcome to the weekend! Now’s the time to settle into a laid-back rhythm and catch up on all this week’s food news on the web. For your perusal, here’s a curated selection of stories that we’ve been reading this week.
- Bookmark this exhaustive guide to prepping and cooking every single type of bean. [Serious Eats]
- Do we really need matcha popsicles, matcha labneh and matcha cinnamon buns? The Japanese green tea powder has reached a fever pitch—and is headed down the same route as pumpkin spice. [Grub Street]
- America’s oldest independent brewery, Yuengling, is fighting back against what is set to be the world’s largest beer merger in history between AB InBev and SABMiller, urging the U.S. Justice Department to reconsider its approval of the deal. [Eater]
- Q: What’s better than a beer mile? A: Philadelphia’s new pizza mile. [Uproxx]
- Major U.S. restaurant chains are seeing the biggest slump in sales they’ve seen in a decade, thanks to a new trend: Americans are cooking in rather than dining out. [The New York Times]