Grilling nectarines concentrates the fruits’ sweetness and imparts an earthy, almost savory flavor that pairs perfectly with a salty hard cheese and spiced honey, as in this summery dessert recipe.
Grilled Nectarines with Pecorino and Honey
- 1/4 cup (3 oz./90 g) wildflower or other full-flavored honey, such as star thistle, summer thistle or mesquite
- 1 Tbs. salted butter
- 1/4 tsp. aniseed, crushed
- 4 ripe but firm nectarines, halved and pitted
- Small wedges of pecorino romano cheese for serving
1. Prepare a fire in a charcoal grill or preheat a gas grill to medium-high.
2. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, warm the honey with the butter and aniseed, stirring to help dissolve the honey, until the butter has melted and the mixture is fragrant, about 5 minutes.
3. Brush the cut sides of the nectarines generously with the honey mixture. Arrange the nectarines on the grill grate, cut side down, and cook until nicely grill marked and beginning to caramelize, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn and grill on the second side until slightly softened, about 3 minutes longer.
4. Place 2 nectarine halves on each of 4 dessert plates. Place a small wedge or two of cheese next to the nectarines and drizzle a little of the remaining honey mixture over the top of the fruit and cheese. Serve immediately. Serves 4.
Find more recipes like this one in our enticing collection of authentic dishes made modern, Rustic Italian, by Domenica Marchetti.