Even if you’ve never been to New York to taste Serendipity 3’s famous “frrrozen hot chocolate,” chances are you’ve heard of it. It’s been mentioned on Sex in the City and Jackie O famously tried (and failed) to snag the once top secret recipe. The restaurant even had a 2001 John Cusack movie named after it where he and Kate Beckinsdale fell in love while sipping the comically oversized, iconic beverage. But what exactly is frozen hot chocolate anyway? For the uninitiated this sounds like the ultimate oxymoron.
Somewhere between hot chocolate and a milkshake, the signature beverage – served in the restaurant in an overflowing goblet meant for sharing – is more icy than creamy. Frozen hot chocolate is made by whizzing together melted chocolate, hot chocolate mix, milk, sugar, and ice. Top with whipped cream and chocolate curls, it’s a decadent treat that’s cold yet great any time of year.
How to Make Frozen Hot Chocolate
If you have a blender, then frozen hot chocolate is within reach. Here’s how to make this iconic beverage:
- Chop up 3 ounces of your favorite chocolate and gently melt in a double boiler.
- Add 2 teaspoons hot chocolate mix and 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar and stir to combine.
- Remove from the heat and slowly stir in 1/2 cup milk until smooth. Let it cool to room temperature.
- Pour your chocolate mixture into a blender along with 1 cup milk and 3 cups of ice. Blitz on high speed until all mixed up – you want it to be more the icy texture of a frozen daiquiri than a super smooth smoothie.
- Top the frozen hot chocolate with whipped cream and shaved chocolate curls and find someone to share (or keep it to yourself, we won’t judge).