Named for New York’s Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, the Waldorf salad traditionally included only apples and celery bound by mayonnaise. In this hearty version, chicken, cooked to tender perfection in an Instant Pot, turns the salad into a satisfying meal.
Instant Pot Waldorf Chicken Salad
For the chicken:
- 1 yellow onion, quartered
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch (5-cm) pieces
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 2-inch (5-cm) pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 chicken, about 4 lb. (2 kg)
- 1 Tbs. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
For the salad:
- 1/2 cup (4 oz./125 g) mayonnaise
- 2 Tbs. plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup (4 oz./125 g) diced apple
- 1 cup (6 oz./185 g) seedless red grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup (3 oz./90 g) finely diced celery
- 1/2 cup (2 oz./60 g) thinly sliced fennel, plus fennel fronds for garnish
- 3/4 cup (4 oz./125 g) salted roasted cashews
- 1 to 2 heads Belgian endive, leaves separated
1. To cook the chicken, put the onion, carrots, celery, garlic and 2 cups (16 fl. oz./500 ml) water in an Instant Pot, then place the steam rack on the pot bottom. Season the chicken inside and out with the salt and pepper and place it, breast side up, on the rack. Cover the pot with the lid, lock the lid into place and turn the valve to “sealing.” Cover the pot with the lid, lock the lid into place and turn the valve to “sealing.” Set the Instant Pot to cook at high pressure for 25 minutes.
2. When the pressure cooking is complete, let the steam release naturally for 20 minutes, then turn the valve to “venting” to release any residual steam. Carefully remove the lid and transfer the chicken to a cutting board. When it is cool enough to handle, remove the meat, discarding the skin and bones. Cut enough meat into 1-inch (2.5-cm) cubes to measure 2 cups (12 oz./375 g) for the salad. Reserve the remaining chicken for another use.
3. To make the salad, in a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, yogurt and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Add the apple, grapes, celery, fennel, cashews and cubed chicken and toss to coat evenly. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
4. Arrange a bed of endive leaves on a serving platter and top with the salad. Garnish with fennel fronds and serve immediately. Serves 6.
For this and more recipes that are big on flavor but short on prep time, check out The Instant Pot Cookbook, by the cooks of the Williams Sonoma Test Kitchen.