This warm salad is a sophisticated take on the classic three-bean salad. It features crisp green beans, tender cannellini beans and warm halloumi, a firm Mediterranean cheese. Served with a crusty baguette, it’s hearty enough for a meatless Monday meal. If you’re short on time, use quality purchased pesto instead of making your own.
Summer Bean Salad with Fried Halloumi and Pesto
- 2 cups (2 oz./60 g) fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup (4 fl. oz./125 ml) plus 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 lb. (250 g) green beans, trimmed
- 1 can (15 oz./425 g) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup (6 oz./185 g) roasted red bell peppers, sliced
- 1/2 lb. (250 g) halloumi cheese, cut into 12 slices
1. To make the pesto, in a blender or food processor, combine the basil, 1/2 cup (4 fl. oz./125 ml) of the olive oil, the lemon juice and garlic. Blend until smooth. Season the pesto to taste with salt and pepper.
2. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add the green beans and cook until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and toss with the cannellini beans and red peppers in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
3. In a large nonstick fry pan over medium-high heat, warm the remaining 2 tsp. olive oil. Add the haloumi slices in a single layer and cook until browned, about 1 1/2 minutes per side.
4. Transfer the bean salad to a platter. Arrange the halloumi on a platter and drizzle with the pesto. (Alternatively, divide the salad among 4 plates. Top with the halloumi and drizzle the pesto over the top). Serve immediately. Serves 4.
Find more simple, healthy meals for every night of the week in our book Weeknight Vegetarian, by Ivy Manning.