“When I started out, I didn’t have a clue about how to mix a proper drink,” says Tieghan Gerard, the voice behind the beloved food site Half Baked Harvest and the stunning new cookbook Super Simple. “But over the years I’ve learned a trick or two.”
Tieghan comes from a family of nine and, as the majority of her family is now “of age,” they’ve become fairly big on the cocktails. So, in an effort to keep up with them, she crafts seasonal drinks that can be made in big batches so she’s not stuck shaking up dozens of individual cocktails. It’s a strategy anyone can use over the holidays, whether you’re hosting a whole party, or just a family get-together.
“This Pomegranate-Thyme Vodka Spritz is one of my favorite seasonal cocktails,” says Tieghan. “It’s simple to mix, beautiful, and deliciously refreshing.” Bottoms up!
Pomegranate-Thyme Vodka Spritz
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 5 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 15 minutes, plus chilling time
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme, plus more for serving
- 1 (1-inch) piece of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 8 ounces vodka
- 4 ounces elderflower liqueur, such as St-Germain
- 1 1⁄3 cups pomegranate juice
- Juice of 2 limes
- 3 to 4 (12-ounce) ginger beers
1. In a medium saucepan, combine the honey, thyme, ginger, and ½ cup of water over high heat. Bring to a boil and cook until the ginger is fragrant, about 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let the syrup cool to room temperature. Remove and discard the thyme and ginger.
2. In a large pitcher, combine the syrup, vodka, elderflower liqueur, pomegranate juice, and lime juice. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve, at least 1 hour.
3. Add the ginger beer to your taste just before serving and stir to combine.
4. Add ice to four glasses and pour the spritz over the top. Garnish each drink with fresh thyme.
Reprinted from Half Baked Harvest Super Simple. Copyright © 2019 Tieghan Gerard. Photography copyright © 2019 by Tieghan Gerard. Published by Clarkson Potter, an imprint of Random House, a division of Penguin Random House, LLC.