Creamy avocado salsa elevates fajitas to an easy and delicious weeknight meal. Use flank or skirt steak for this recipe—both boast rich, beefy flavor and cook quickly on a stove-top grill pan.
Steak Fajitas with Avocado-Cilantro Salsa
For the salsa:
- 1 avocado, pitted and peeled
- 1/2 cup (4 fl. oz./125 ml) olive oil
- 1 jalapeño chile
- 3/4 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 lb. (750 g) flank or skirt steak
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 12 flour tortillas, warmed
1. To make the salsa, scoop the avocado flesh into a blender and add the oil, jalapeño, cilantro, garlic, lime juice and a large pinch of salt. Blend until creamy, 1 to 2 minutes. Adjust the seasoning with salt. Transfer the salsa to a bowl.
2. Preheat a stove-top grill pan over medium-high heat. Season the steak with salt and pepper. Place the steak on the pan and cook, turning once, for 8 to 10 minutes total for medium-rare. Transfer the steak to a cutting board, cover loosely with aluminum foil, and let rest for 5 minutes. Place the onion and bell pepper on the pan and cook, turning once, until slightly wilted and charred, about 4 minutes total. Transfer the onion and bell pepper to a plate and season with salt and pepper. Thinly slice the steak across the grain.
3. To assemble the fajitas, place the steak, onion, and bell pepper on the tortillas and drizzle with the avocado-cilantro salsa. Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve immediately. Serves 6.
Find this and more than 30 recipes for using your Vitamix® Professional Series™ Power Blender to prepare any meal of the day in The Perfect Blending Cookbook, by the cooks of Williams Sonoma’s Test Kitchen.