Redolent with the flavors of garlic, ginger and garam masala, this hearty vegetarian stew—chock full of cauliflower, potatoes and lentils—will transport you to southern India. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with warm naan or other Indian bread. If you don’t have a slow cooker with a flameproof insert, sauté the vegetables and bring the broth to a boil in a sauté pan, then transfer the contents of the pan to a slow cooker before adding the lentils and potatoes.
Slow-Cooker Curried Dal with Vegetables
- 2 Tbs. coconut oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 Tbs. minced garlic
- 1 Tbs. peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 jalapeño chile, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (2 oz./60 g) tomato paste
- 3 cups (24 fl. oz./750 ml) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups (16 fl. oz./500 ml) drained canned tomatoes
- 1/3 cup (4 oz./125 g) mango chutney
- 2 tsp. garam masala
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 rounded cup (8 oz./250 g) red lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 1/2 lb. (750 g) small red potatoes, quartered
- 3 cups (10 oz./315 g) cauliflower florets (about 1/2 head)
- 1/2 cup (2/3 oz./20 g) finely chopped fresh cilantro
1. Put the flameproof insert of a slow-cooker on the stove top over medium heat, then add the oil and warm until hot. Add the onion, carrot, garlic, ginger and chile and cook, stirring, until almost softened, 5 to 8 minutes. Whisk in the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the broth, tomatoes, chutney, garam masala, 1 1/2 tsp. salt and a few grinds of pepper and stir well. Bring to a boil.
2. Transfer the insert to the slow cooker, add the lentils and potatoes, and stir to mix well. Cover and cook on low for 5 1/2 hours. The lentils and potatoes should be tender but not falling apart. Uncover and stir in the cauliflower. Re-cover and cook on the high-heat setting for 1 hour. The cauliflower should be tender.
3. Transfer the dal to a serving bowl, garnish with the cilantro and serve immediately. Serves 6.
Learn to make the most of your slow cooker with this and other inspiring recipes in our Quick Slow Cooking, by Kim Laidlaw.