With four full days to go until Thanksgiving, it may sound crazy to hit up the grocery store today, but hear us out! We have five great reasons to head to your local supermarket right now.
- You’re not shopping for ripe summer tomatoes or perfect berries here: that hearty butternut squash and sack of potatoes will certainly stay fresh for the next four days in your kitchen.
- If you’re buying crusty bread for homemade stuffing, a bit of time out on the counter is actually working in your favor. Stale bread toasts better and absorbs more flavorful liquid, so you get the moist-inside-but-crispy-on-top combo every great stuffing should have.
- Hey, remember how you were going to make your Thanksgiving meal ahead of time this year? Well you can’t simmer that cranberry sauce or perfect your pie crust if you don’t have the ingredients on hand.
- If you’re using a frozen bird, you don’t really have much choice. It will take 3 to 4 days to defrost in the refrigerator. (Note to procrastinators: There is a backup plan.)
- The truth is, we didn’t even need to list five reasons: If you’ve ever been in the aisles of the grocery store the evening before Thanksgiving, you already know that shoppers are stressed, supplies are dwindling, and it doesn’t exactly get you in the Thanksgiving mood. So this year, get to the grocery store ASAP.
Here’s to overflowing grocery bags, full refrigerators, and all of the abundance ahead. Happy Thanksgiving week!
Follow along as we continue to gear up for Thanksgiving! Earlier on our Thanksgiving Countdown: