This refreshing salad is perfect for sweltering summer evenings. If you like, you can purchase shrimp that has already been cooked, or cook the shrimp briefly on an outdoor grill, if want to avoid turning on the oven in your kitchen. Serve it with crunchy gluten-free rice crackers alongside for a quick and easy gluten-free weeknight dinner.
Asian-Style Shrimp, Tomato and Cucumber Salad
- 3 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 3 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 Tbs. Asian fish sauce
- 1 1/2 to 2 seeded and minced serrano chiles
- 2 tsp. minced shallot
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 lb. (500 g) large or medium shrimp (26 to 35 per pound), peeled, deveined and cooked
- 6 Persian cucumbers, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch (12 mm) pieces
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes, cut into 3/4- to 1-inch (2- to 2.5-cm) pieces
- 1/3 cup (1/3 oz./10 g) small fresh mint leaves
- 1/3 cup (1/3 oz./10 g) small fresh basil leaves
- 3 Tbs. salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- Lime wedges for serving
1. In a small bowl, mix the lime juice, oil, fish sauce, chiles, shallot and sugar. Season the dressing to taste with salt and black pepper.
2. In a large bowl, combine the shrimp, cucumbers and tomatoes. Add the dressing, mint and basil and toss to combine. Divide the salad among 4 plates. Sprinkle with peanuts. Serve immediately with lime wedges to squeeze over the salad. Serves 4.
Find more quick, gluten-free dinner recipes in our book Weeknight Gluten Free, by Kristine Kidd.