Happy National Watermelon Day! The perfect punch for a summer celebration, this refreshing drink is made from pureed watermelon for the ultimate in fresh flavor. Here we serve it in a keg made from a watermelon, but if you don’t have a watermelon tap kit, simply serve it from a punch bowl or your favorite drink dispenser.
Watermelon Tequila Punch
- 1 large seedless watermelon, 6 to 8 lb. (3 to 4 kg)
- 1 1/2 cups (12 fl. oz./375 ml) fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup (3 fl. oz./80 ml) agave nectar
- 2 cups (16 fl. oz./500 ml) tequila
- 3/4 cup (6 fl. oz./180 ml) St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur
- Fresh mint leaves for garnish (optional)
1. Cut off about 2 inches (5 cm) from one end of the watermelon to expose the red flesh. (Save the piece to use as a lid if you’re going to turn the watermelon into a keg.) Using a large spoon, scoop half of the flesh from the watermelon and transfer to a blender. Blend on high speed until smooth. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl. Repeat with the remaining watermelon flesh. You should have about 8 cups (64 fl. oz./2 l) of watermelon puree.
2. Add the lime juice, agave nectar, tequila and elderflower liqueur to the bowl with the watermelon puree and stir until combined. If using a watermelon tap kit, follow the manufacturer’s instructions to turn the watermelon into a keg. Pour the punch into the watermelon keg or pour into a punch bowl or drink dispenser. Serve the punch in glasses filled with ice, garnished with fresh mint leaves. Serves 12.
Williams Sonoma Test Kitchen