Early fall is the perfect time to make this substantial chicken bowl, since you’re likely to find both corn and winter squash at the farmers’ market. To change up the flavors here, use Sugar Pie pumpkin or red kuri squash for the butternut squash and pinto beans for the black beans.
Chipotle Chicken Bowl with Butternut Squash and Charred Corn
For the avocado dressing:
- 2 avocados, pitted, peeled and coarsely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Kosher salt
For the chipotle chicken bowl:
- 1 butternut squash (about 2 lb./1 kg), peeled and cut into 1-inch (2.5-cm) cubes
- 1/2 lb. (250 g) pearl onions, peeled and halved
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 4 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 lb./1 kg total weight)
- 2 ears of corn, husks and silk removed
- 1 can (15 oz./475 g) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups (12 oz./375 g) cherry tomatoes
- 2 green onions, white and pale green portions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (3/4 oz./20 g) loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- Sliced radishes, fresh cilantro and sour cream for serving
1. To make the avocado dressing, in a food processor, process the avocados until broken up. Add the lime juice and 1/2 tsp. salt and process until combined. With the machine running, add 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) water in a steady stream and process until smooth, adding more water as needed to reach a thick but pourable consistency. Set aside. (The dressing can be stored, refrigerated, in an airtight container for up to 1 day.)
2. Place 1 rack in the upper third and 1 rack in the lower third of an oven. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). In a bowl, mix the butternut squash and pearl onions with 2 Tbs. of the oil, and season with salt and pepper. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast on the upper rack until easily pierced with a knife, about 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in another bowl, stir together the chipotle chiles, cumin and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Transfer to a baking sheet. Roast on the lower rack until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh, away from the bone, registers 165°F (74°C), about 25 minutes.
4. Preheat a grill pan over high heat. Cook the corn until evenly charred, about 8 minutes total. When the corn is cool enough to handle, cut the kernels from the cobs. Set aside.
5. In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, warm the remaining 1 Tbs. oil. Add the beans and cook, stirring occasionally, until warmed through, about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, green onions and cilantro and toss until the tomatoes are slightly blistered, about 2 minutes.
6. Divide the avocado dressing among 4 bowls. Top with the bean mixture, squash and onion mixture, corn and chicken. Garnish with radishes, cilantro and sour cream and serve. Serves 4.
Find more fresh and satisfying recipes for meals that pack a lot of punch in a single bowl in our One Bowl Meals, by Brigit Binns.