This fresh-tasting weeknight meal is like a deconstructed spring roll in bowl form, with all the essential components of the popular Southeast Asian appetizer. If you have peanut-sensitive diners at your table, omit the peanut sauce and chopped nuts and top each bowl with a simple soy-based sauce: season soy sauce to taste with chili-garlic sauce, a little honey, sliced green onions and toasted white sesame seeds.
Spring Roll Bowl with Rice Noodles and Peanut Sauce
For the peanut sauce:
- 2-inch (5-cm) piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1/2 cup (5 oz./155 g) creamy peanut butter
- 2 Tbs. soy sauce
- 1 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbs. canola oil, plus more for frying
- 8 wonton wrappers
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 lb. (250 g) shiitake mushrooms, brushed clean, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-inch (5-cm) piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 Tbs. soy sauce
- 1/2 lb. (250 g) rice noodles
- 2 Tbs. rice vinegar
- 1 head romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1/2 cup (1/2 oz./15 g) fresh mint leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (1/2 oz./15 g)fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (3 oz./90 g) chopped roasted peanuts
1. To make the peanut sauce, in a small bowl, stir together the ginger, garlic and peanut butter. Stir in the soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar and red pepper flakes. Stir in enough water to achieve a thick pourable consistency. Set aside.
2. In a large fry pan over medium-high heat, pour in oil to a depth of 1/2 inch (12 mm) and heat until hot but not smoking. Add the wonton wrappers and fry until golden brown and crisp, about 1 minute per side. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the wonton wrappers to a plate and sprinkle with salt. Set aside.
3. In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, warm the 2 Tbs. oil. Add the mushrooms, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are tender, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add the soy sauce, toss to coat and cook 1 minute longer. Keep warm.
4. Cook the rice noodles according to the package instructions. Drain, transfer to a bowl, add the vinegar and toss to coat.
5. Divide the noodles among 4 bowls and top with the mushrooms, lettuce, mint, basil, carrots and cucumber. Garnish with the wonton wrappers and peanuts. Drizzle with the peanut sauce and serve. Serves 4.
Find more fresh and satisfying recipes for meals that pack a lot of punch in a single bowl in our One Bowl Meals, by Brigit Binns.