Blue cheese and dried cranberries contribute sweet and salty notes and the pecans add a bit of crunch to this complexly flavored salad made with peppery arugula. If you don’t have the dipping oil called for in the recipe, you can substitute plain extra-virgin olive oil.
Arugula Salad with Blue Cheese and Dried Cranberries
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 cups (6 oz./180 g) arugula
- 2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbs. Blue Cheese and Fig Balsamic Dipping Oil
- 1/2 cup (2 oz./60 g) coarsely chopped toasted pecans
- 1/3 cup (1 1/2 oz./45 g) crumbled blue cheese
- 1/3 cup (1 1/2 oz./45 g) dried cranberries
1. In a sauté pan over medium-low heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onions and sauté, stirring frequently, until golden and lightly caramelized, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
2. Put the arugula in a large mixing bowl and season lightly with salt and pepper. Drizzle the vinegar and dipping oil on top of the arugula and toss to coat.
3. Transfer the arugula to a serving platter and sprinkle evenly with the warm onions, pecans, blue cheese and cranberries. Serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.
Williams Sonoma Test Kitchen